Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2, 2014 - You Gonna Play or Forfeit?

As I sit at my desk I find myself a bit overwhelmed at all that has to be done today… I have just spent the week moving all of our belongings into storage and we are living out of a few boxes and bags for at least the next month. Today I found myself at the mechanic with the ministry van that had broken down; this a day before we leave for NC then GA then the Dominican Republic then back to GA… you get the picture. And the list could go on of all the other stuff that goes with it…

And then I realize that I need to write this week’s devotion and the weight of all the other stuff makes it very difficult. Basically I have to come to a point where writing (or even my personal quiet time) is like lacing up the kicks for a game… once the ball goes up in the air, the cares of the world disappear and for the time it takes to play that game I realize I can’t deal with all that other stuff, nor do I even want to…

It is easy to let so many things distract us… sidetrack us… get us out of our game. And the enemy will often use circumstances (stuff) to mess with our focus. In fact I just received a nice compliment from one of my friends and board members; he had served with me overseas and witnessed a time where I was preaching while a basketball game was going on behind me. He told me he “commended me” for keeping my “concentration” through it all… I responded that it was like being at the foul line with the opposing fans waving and screaming to break my concentration… it was just the enemy trying to get me off focus from sharing the Gospel...

The enemy is a master of distraction! His goal is to sidetrack us from “focus in the game”!

I often hear people say they will get busy with the Lord’s work and call on their lives once they get other things straight… That is simply “Bull!” When it is “game time” it is “game time” and if you are not ready you will “forfeit” the opportunity to do what the Lord “diagrammed” for you to do! (See Ephesians 2:10)

You will have opportunities this week to Go MAD (Make A Difference)!
It is game time!
You gonna play or forfeit?

Colossians 31-2 So if you’re serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective. (The Message)


This week was about distractions from “Outside the Lines” – the plan next week is to discuss the distractions from “Inside the Lines” 

No comments: