Monday, June 22, 2015

June 22, 2015 - In The Game

What a crazy time for Team Burden… we are moving back to NC from AL (with ministry still going in AL) to continue our outreach with InBounds and also serve again with Statesville Christian School. We are excited but also tired; as this is all taking place with a full ministry slate.

On Friday we drove to Chicago to drop off our son Caleb with Reign Ministries; he is going to Ireland for the summer to do mission work. We continued then on to Colorado (where I am currently typing from) to serve in a VBS and Basketball clinic with our partners from South County Baptist Church in St Louis. (We love traveling to do outreach with them… they are a second family to us.)

But with all the running, this old man gets asked at times why we stay so busy. The simple answer is that it is my job… even from an earthly perspective I get paid via support that comes to our ministry to be in the game not on the sidelines. (And I do at times say “no” to requests… or allow for a sub in my place.)

But the more detailed answer is the Biblical answer…

First: I am told in Scripture to be “always abounding in the work of the Lord.” (1 Cor 15:58) [And yes I understand that has to be coupled with commands to take Sabbath rest….] Simply put, “Players Play!” And players should remember the wise words of Coach Wooden, “move, move, move!”

Second: when I pray about the opportunities presented to our ministry I truly seek if I feel God is leading/directing. I want to follow the plays that my Coach has diagramed for me; I want to be on the floor where He designed; I want to cut through the lanes He designed; etc. I thought about this as I thanked my dear friend Hank Dahl for being faithful to serve and be in the position God designed for Him to mentor my son Caleb. Hank is the leader of the Ireland team that Caleb is part of. And I believe with all of my heart that God has directed Hank’s life to be in that position; and that Hank is exercising faithfulness to follow that direction.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Do you see the beautiful picture there… God, in His omniscience (foreknowledge), saw that Hank Dahl would be one that responded to the Gospel by faith (see Eph 2:8-9) and in His sovereignty (being in control) He started diagraming plays for Hank… and Hank’s responsibility is to be on the floor doing what God has designed. Therefore I thanked Hank Friday night for that faithfulness…

Why am I running all over the country? In order to be on the floor doing what God has designed. So this afternoon I will meet a new group of kids on a basketball court in Gunnison, CO and have the privilege of sharing that Christ is the Substitute sent into the game of life for us!

How about you? If you are a believer in the finished work of Christ for your salvation then you are also a part of God’s team and thus have plays diagrammed for you… are you walking in them? Are you abounding in the work of the Lord? Move, move, move…

No comments: