Wednesday, May 3, 2017

May 1, 2017 - Feed the Bigs


Going to be a short devotion this week, as I am already a couple days late… but the reason I am late is inspiration for the content of the devo…

 

On Monday, my father passed away of a massive heart attack. He was 76 years old and seemed to be doing just fine prior to the attack. In fact, over the weekend I had told him how good he sounded on the phone, and on Monday we had talked for quite some time. Yet his death was the clear reminder that even 76 years of living doesn’t alter the abruptness of physical death; all of those years and it ends in a gasp… with the thought then of where things are for eternity. So first off this week I urge you to consider your own life… the fact that it truly is, as James says, a vapor… where do you stand? I am so grateful for the talk I had with my dad last year where he confirmed with me that his hope for eternity was his belief in the finished work of Christ on his behalf!

 

I am also thankful for the legacy my father left of hard work and giving to others. I have never met anyone that was a harder worker than him; often as a kid seeing that he worked multiple double shifts per week. Years ago I penned the following words about my dad in a song: “Alarm clock screams, he crawls out of bed… Seems he just got there, got a pounding in his head… Little Debbie snack cakes, sinus meds, an RC below the sink… and he’s out to the car by the time he takes a drink.” My dad showed the importance of hard work!

 

In basketball it is very common to tell players to remember to “feed the ‘bigs’” when they run the floor. In other words, if those guys are going to work hard, they should be rewarded. (And the transverse of that is, if they don’t work hard then who cares if they get the ball!)

 

The Bible says this about us: “For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.” (2 Thessalonians 3:10)

 

Not only did dad show me to work hard, he also showed me to share/care… I remember him looking at one of my friends one day and saying (in his gruff, tired tone), “Boy, there’s the fridge, if you go hungry it is your fault!” I guess that was a country-boy from Kentucky saying, “Mi casa, su casa!”, or “make yourself at home.” Apparently my friends, and my brothers friends, got it... as many have sent there condolences this week and in the process called my dad “Dad.”

 

This week is a reminder to: Work Hard and Share Greatly! (Thanks, Dad!)

No comments: