Monday, May 29, 2017

May 29, 2017 - God, Call My Number!

Well here we are in the 16th year of doing these weekly devotions and I am sure I have often talked about Memorial Day… especially since I do these on Mondays… but we should never tire of honoring and remembering those that were “all-in” to the point of giving their lives. These soldiers believed in something bigger than themselves… (and it kind of makes me feel a bit embarrassed to know how often we apply the term “all-in” to sports teams.)
 
Nevertheless we do apply that term to many areas of life; and we simply are saying that there is commitment to not only the ideology of the area but also to the actual carrying out of the mission.
 
Well today has even more meaning to me this year as I have one of my sons scheduled to enlist this week, and I just wrote a recommendation letter for another young man, that I love like a son, for his enlistment. I want “my boys” to not just be adults, but to be men; to be all-in on God’s plan for their lives and to Go MAD (Make A Difference) in this course they have charted…
 
From a spiritual standpoint isn’t that the goal… to be all-in? Obviously Jesus was all-in to purchase our salvation… shouldn’t we be looking to fulfill the mission He left for us?
 
Last week I quoted from a book I am reading, Kingdom Man by Dr Tony Evans. I am making my way through its pages with highlighter in hand to find encouragement and, if need be, rebuke in my own life… and of course will share that freely in the weekly devos!
 
The book is dealing largely with the fact that God has chosen mankind to manage the earth… to have dominion or rule. Evans reminds us that “most of the time God wanted to do something on Earth, as recorded in Scripture, He found a person through whom to do it. …. He created an Adam, found a Noah, located an Abraham, sought out a Moses, raised up a judge, identified a prophet, chose a king, and when stuff got really bad, He became a man.” (p.100)
 
Evans encourages us to “memorize 2 Corinthians 9:8. (saying) The truth will blow your mind: ‘And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed.’” (p.93) In other words, you and I have all the stuff we need to be difference makers!
 
God has called us to be on mission… all-in! We have no excuses for inactivity! God is calling your number!
 
Ezekiel 22:30 “I searched for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, so that I would not destroy it; BUT I FOUND NO ONE.”
 
I pray that those words would not be said of us! I pray that when God looks for a man to do His bidding that He find me… calls my number! And yours! All-in!!!!

No comments: