Monday, June 5, 2017

June 5, 2017 - Face Up To The Goal!


For time’s sake this week I am going to give you some verses to look up and hopefully you will take the time to do so before you read on, as they will help you make more sense out of the short devo…
 
The “I Have/I Have Not/I Can/I Cannot ” Verses (as mentioned in Max Lucado’s book Glory Days (p. 67)
1 Corinthians 6:20
2 Timothy 1:7
Romans 8:35
Hebrews 4:16
Philippians 4:13
 
Read those verses to see what you have in Christ when you are on His team…
 
Often as I am teaching ball handling to young kids I show them a very protected stance that helps them keep the ball from getting stolen. The common term is called “Triple Threat” position, as you begin in a place where you can dribble, pass, or shoot. Yet even when teaching “Triple Threat” a player should progress to a more open, and much more offensive positioning; trusting one’s ball handling instead of just shielding away a defender…
 
I thought about this as I pictured young players (and at times older but non-confident players) not only shielding away defenders, but at times, in order to protect the ball, actually playing with their backs to the basket. That is not a good position to be in when an opening arises to the goal…
 
In Lucado’s book (p. 67-68) he talks of the fact that the Hebrews in the Book of Joshua were instructed to remember what God has done for them and to remember to whom they belong… Take a moment to inventory how incredible God has been to you! Think about how He has equipped you for this life!
 
Lucado goes on to remind us to look at the right goal in the battle… we are in a spiritual battle and it matters where we set our eyes! In the words of Max: ”Don’t face Satan by facing Satan. Face Satan by facing God.”

No comments: