Monday, February 19, 2018

February 19, 2018 - Fellowship Shoot-Arounds


I write often from the perspective of my competitive edge when playing sports… I talk about the drive it takes to succeed, the commitment to preparation, the pursuit of excellence, etc. I often will make statements like, “when I lace up the shoes, I intend to win.”



Today I was reminded of a different perspective in my hoops playing days… I thought about the times in my backyard alone just shooting baskets and thinking/praying; or times when I had great conversations with friends while shooting around. In fact, when I reflect on those times I cherish them just as much as the memories of intense competition. I often played to relax or fellowship…



The thing that prompted this reflection were talks I had with my daughter and one of my students. We are on tour with our worship team and they had spent time together yesterday having a devotion on the front porch of our host home. My daughter told me how much the time meant to her and how much they were bonding; the other young lady, who is one of our leaders, said she was surprised how well ti was received because it was a very basic devotion and not very “deep.”



During that second conversation my mind started going into metaphor-mode. I thought about how often I encourage “diving deep” -or- deep study… I talk of word studies and digging into the context… etc. But in the talk yesterday I simply responded that a “swim” can be amazingly refreshing even when we just stay at the “surface.” We don’t always have to “free dive.”



I am all for the “I’m diving in, I’m going deep” approach. (Thanks Stephen Curtis Chapman for the word picture.) But I am also all for the “Be still and know that I am God” approach. (Thanks to Psalm 46:10 for that word picture.)



There’s something refreshing and relaxing when we are “floating on the surface”…



I miss my fellowship shoot-arounds… and my individual shoot-arounds… they calmed me and energized me.



Matthew 11:28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

No comments: