Monday, February 26, 2018

February 26, 2018 - Anticipation of Making the Play!


I had a very long week of travel and ministry that included over 40 hours in the van and almost 3000 miles… yet, despite being physically wiped out, had a week of incredible worship and spiritual rest! I was traveling with a team of high school worship leaders… this group of students committed to a 10-day journey of worship… on stage and off stage. I daily was greeted by the sounds of this group doing devotions together and singing praises. In fact, I was ministered to more by what took place off the stage than what they did in the concerts… I found myself looking forward to seeing and hearing their sounds of worship! – anticipating seeing and hearing from God!



There was a sports-related moment that drove this picture home… it happened one of the nights while playing a fun pick-up game of basketball with the kids and the illustration was brought to mind this morning when I was in the Scriptures…



While playing hoops, the students commented on my ability to stay calm and wait to make the pass… which is something I always prided myself on. I love the times I can simply let the play develop and trust that my teammates will make the cuts for me to deliver the pass… when I have the basketball in my hands I feel confident and love the feeling of anticipation of making the play!



That is the picture, the one of anticipation of making the play… here is what I typed this morning for our students at the school:



“This is not just religious church talk! When we are intentional in this, things change! King David was facing some obstacles in life and he stated:



I waited patiently for the Lord… (Psalm 40:1)



The English word “waited” does not give a full picture of what David is saying; the Hebrew word (Qavah) more literally would read: I waited eagerly… or looked for and hoped expectantly. David knew that if he trusted God, God would show up in a big way!



We entered this past week with a daily expectation for God to show up… and He did in a major way. I can truly say that we experienced what David states in verse 1 and 3 of Psalm 40…



1 And He inclined to me (He listened) and heard my cry… 3 He has put a new song in my mouth…



I am not going to lie, I was tired driving home last night! With over 3000 miles logged, this old man was feeling it; yet, in the midst of all of it my heart was full, and a new song was on my lips. One of the songs we did on tour had these lyrics that kept flooding my mind on the drive home…



I’d be lost, I’d be lost, I’d be lost without You

But now I’m found, singing your praise! (Scandal of Grace– Hillsong United)



Intentionally focus on God today and He will put a new song in your mouth…”

No comments: