Monday, February 5, 2018

February 5, 2012 - Let The Bigs Dribble


Recently, following one of my middle school girls’ basketball games, I overheard one of the dads telling his daughter that she should never dribble again…



I know that sounds mean, bit please understand first that he was joking around with her, as each of us (including the player) know that dribbling the basketball is not her forte. I was actually able to brag about how the girl is improving in practices in this area; but the reality is that she is around a 5’11” 7th grader that is not going to dribble low through traffic… She needs to get the ball to the guards and go down the post to use her height. But sometimes, I let the “bigs” dribble…



My mind immediately went to the Scriptural mandate to each of us as believers, “not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly…” (Romans 12:3) In this passage it is simply reminding us that we all have a part to play on Team Christ and each role is just as important as the next. The key there is to figure out our roles and be active in them… We are not to be haughty in our roles, but instead “in honor giving preference to one another.” (Romans 12:10)



I didn’t mind the girl dribbling down the court… even though it is not our best option for advancing the ball, I appreciated her effort; and even if she turned it over, it would be an effort-mistake. (I like those a lot better that no-effort-mistakes… those may not show up as a negative mark on a stat sheet, but they kill a team.)



So this week I simply reiterate a common charge from these weekly devotions: BE ACTIVE! DO YOUR PART… EVEN IF YOU MESS UP SOMETIMES!!!



Romans 12: 1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

No comments: