Monday, December 2, 2013

December 2, 2013 - A Little Locker Room Leadership...

Has God put something on your heart? Has He given you a passion to Make A Difference? Last week I encouraged us to all let the Word of God transform us into a people ready to Make A Difference… and it would have been easy to think I was simply talking about the giving program we are starting with InBounds; yet it is so much more than that. Giving is absolutely important, (coming from the guy that directs a ministry totally dependent upon the giving of God’s people), but doing is important as well. We need to be active in the “game”! I have said it often throughout the years of these devotions: God doesn’t want benchwarmers!

But let’s be realistic here. Finances, time, potential persecution or ridicule, etc. all lead to fear of activity. Yet don’t let fear stop you!!!!!!!

Today I am going to try to give a little “locker room leadership.” Within the safety of our little internet huddle I want to encourage you to be all that God intends for you to be; to do all that God intends for you to do; to go where God intends for you to go…

I’ll confess to fears and stress as we continue down our faith-road in ministry. I’ll admit that sometimes I consider quitting. I realize that the road we are on is not the road of the American Dream…

Yet the reality is that we are in the game and seeing lives changed! We are pressing forward and facing the enemy! To some this may sound like I am bragging about this; but believe me I am not! I am admitting to my weakness; yet also wanting to give an answer as to why we go on…

As I was reading Nehemiah this morning I was reminded that even Nehemiah was afraid (in fact chapter 2 verse 2 said he became “dreadfully afraid”), yet he followed through with the game plan. He had heard of his people’s fate and a passion was birthed in him to Go MAD (Make A Difference.) He took it to the Lord and asked for the Lord’s blessing on his endeavor… and then he got busy.

As I read further in the account I saw that Nehemiah faced many obstacles (finances, resources, the enemy, etc.) How about you? Are you facing any struggles today? Is life full of stressors for you like they are for me? Is the enemy trying to slow you down or keep you down from acting upon the passion God has given you? It is time to rise up! Nehemiah records that the people got to a point where they “had a mind to work” (4:6), in spite of the looming dangers and obstacles.  The enemy was pressing in on every side, determined to stop their progress. Nehemiah and his people prayed and then Nehemiah delivers a message to his people that would ring well in any locker room (or battlefield for that matter):

4:14And I looked, and arose and said to the nobles, to the leaders, and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, great and awesome, and fight for your brethren, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your houses.”

Nehemiah admitted his fears yet kept moving forward – stayed active in “the game” – facing the obstacles and adversaries.  He led by example, not based upon his strength but on that of the Lord. He rallied his “team” (people.) He had all the attributes of a great locker room leader!


I long to be like Nehemiah and stay the course! I want to move forward by the strength of the Lord! So I write to you this day to “remember the Lord, great and awesome”, and Go MAD!

No comments: